The Niagara Falls International Marathon is pleased to announce the tenth (10) annual SCHOOLS MARATHON CHALLENGE. The Schools Marathon Challenge is designed to help children become physically fit through the sport of running. This is a FREE program open to students in schools in the Niagara Region and surrounding areas and fits in with the Ontario Physical Education curriculum. Registered students will run the first 40.2 kilometers of the marathon in the six weeks prior to race day (incorporated into physical activity classes and extracurricular activities). Each student will need to fill out a Niagara Falls International Marathon running log book to record their running distance and have it verified by their school leader.
- Race Day – The race will begin at 8:00am on Sunday, October 26, 2014. Students will be required to assemble at the Start Line (Upper Rapids Blvd. parking lot) no later than 7:00am-7:30am. Students will then run to the official marathon finish line, a distance of 2K, to complete the combined marathon distance of 42.2 kilometres. Each Student will receive a shirt, commemorative MyLap Timing Bib, finisher’s medal, drink and snacks.
- Start Time – The Schools Marathon Challenge will start at 8:00am. We ask that students and chaperones arrive early to check-in, assemble as a group and take part in the warm up! please arrive no later than 7:00am-7:30am
- Finish Line Location – Toronto Power Generating Station National Historic Site of Canada.
- FREE Parking – At Upper Rapids Blvd parking lot (Start Location). It is a short walk (1K each way) from your vehicle to the finish line and back.
- Interactive Warm Up – NFIM will be arranging a warm up designed to energize and motivate the students at the start of the race.
- NEW Packet Pick-Up at Expo – Students and parents will need to pick up their individual Mylap Timing Bib and shirt at the Runfest Expo on Friday, October 24 (1pm-7pm) and Saturday, October 25 (9:30am-5:30pm) located at the Niagara Square Shopping Centre.
- RW Entertainment – Face painting, Balloon Making and Stilt Walking will also be available for students at the Runfest Expo on Friday, October 24 (1pm-7pm) and Saturday, October 25 (9:30am-5:30pm) located at the Niagara Square Shopping Centre!
- NEW School Leaders / NFIM Staff Meeting - A meeting will be held at the NFIM Office (located at the Niagara Falls Badminton and Tennis Club ) to review the procedures and instructions for the race weekend. Date and time to be announced.
HOW TO REGISTER
Each school MUST have one (1) leader to organize their school group and to act as the main contact with the Niagara Falls International Marathon Office.
- There will be a cap of 1,000 students. Spaces will be granted on a (first-come-first-serve basis). We cannot guarantee everyone a spot, therefore, meeting our deadline of Wednesday, September 24th, 2014 will help insure that you secure a spot for your school and your students.
- Please have the school leader and each adult chaperone fill out an individual CHAPERONE ENTRY FORM. The school leader will need to include the School Name and all relevant contact information (phone number & email) in order to receive confirmation emails and updates. Please limit chaperones to 1 chaperone per every 10 students on course.
- Each student will need to fill out an individual STUDENT ENTRY FORM signed by parent/guardian.
- Please return all entry forms AS A GROUP to the Marathon Office via fax 905-356-7156 or email email@example.com .
- All entry forms must be submitted to the Marathon Office (as a group) by Wednesday, September 24th, 2014. Any forms submitted past this date will not be accepted, no exceptions.
*Please note – only STUDENTS will receive a shirt as part of the program this year
THIS YEARS MEDAL
Students and chaperones will be required to pick-up their individual packets which will include the following:
- Commemorative T-Shirt
- Commemorative MyLap Timing Bib with pins
- Chaperone Tag Credential
- Medals will be handed out at the finish line on race day
This year we are offering packet pick-up at the RunFEST Expo at the Niagara Square Shopping Centre where you can have the full experience of a marathoner!
Date & Time:
- Friday, October 24, 2014 (1:00pm-7:00pm)
- Saturday, October 25, 2014 (9:30am-5:30pm)
Location: Niagara Square Shopping Centre, 7555 Montrose Rd, Niagara Falls, ON L2H 2E9.
Q. Can I run the 2K with my child(ren)?
A. Due to logistical, liability and security reasons, we can only allow registered chaperones (1 adult for every 10 students) to run on course with the students. If you are interested in running with your child, please fill out a chaperone entry and submit it to your school. Otherwise, you are welcome to wait at the Finish Line to watch your child finish.
Q. What is the due date for registration forms and how do we submit them?
A. Registration forms must be filled out and returned to your school leader. The school leader must submit all student and chaperone entry forms as a group to the Niagara Falls International Marathon Office via fax or email no later than September 24th, 2014. This is to ensure that there is enough time to order meals, shirts, bibs, ect.
Q. I am interested in running one of the Niagara Falls International Marathon events. How can I register?
A. Click Here for more information on how to register for the Marathon, Half-Marathon, 10K, 5K or 2K events.
Q. How can I sign up to volunteer?
A. The Niagara Falls International Marathon is always looking for volunteers. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Need more info?
Niagara Falls International Marathon
5300 Willmott Street, Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada L2E 2A7
Tel: 905-356-9460, Fax: 905-356-7156